Carroll County New Hampshire - Genealogy and History
Visit NH.GOV
Seal of New Hampshire - Live Free or Die
VISIT New Hampshire GENEALOGY and HISTORY

This web site is a resource for researchers of family tree (genealogy)
and history in Carroll County, New Hampshire.

HISTORY | DOCUMENTS | OTHER AREAS OF RESEARCH
MAP OF CARROLL COUNTY | TOWNS/CITIES IN CARROLL COUNTY

For Help with Researching your family tree,
see HISTORY & GENEALOGY OF NH
(Main Site)

Visit The Cow Hampsha Shop


SEARCH THIS SITE
Google
www nh.searchroots.com (this site)



BRIEF HISTORY OF CARROLL CO., NEW HAMPSHIRE

BRIEF HISTORY OF CARROLL CO., NEW HAMPSHIRE
Carroll County was created by an act of the state legislature approved December 23, 1840, which also formed Belknap County. The language of the act concerning the towns embraced in Carroll county is "the said county of Carroll shall contain all the lands and waters included within the following towns and places, which now constitute a part of the county of Strafford, to wit: Albany, Brookfield, Chatham, Conway, Eaton, Effingham, Freedom, Moultonborough, and the said towns be, and the same are herby, severed and disannexed from the county of Strafford."

By an act of the legislature approved January 5, 1853, Bartlett, Jackson, and Hart's Location were disannexed from the county of Coos and annexed to Carroll county. Boundaries between Belknap and Carroll counties were established in 1841, thus: "Beginning at the easterly termination of the line dividing the towns of Meredith and Moultonborough; thence running easterly to the southerly point of Long Island in Winnipisseogee lake; thence easterly to the westerly termination of the line dividing the towns of Wolfborough and Alton; and all the lands and waters lying northerly of said line and between that and said towns of Moultonborough, Tuftonborough, and Wolfborough shall constitute a part of said county of Carroll." The town of Madison was incorporated from the western part of Eaton in 1852.

Carroll county received it names in commemoration of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, one of the most distinguished of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, and by the diversified and lovely character of its bewitching scenery is keeping the name of a household word in the cultured minds of both the old and new worlds.

Strafford county, from which Carroll was formed, was one of the five original counties of New Hampshire, being made by the same act which created Rockingham, Hillsborough, Cheshire and Grafton, March 19, 1771. Many of the towns in Carroll have a much older corporate existence than the county, and some of them are as old as the five first counties. The early or pioneer stage belongs here rather to the towns than to the county.

Carroll county contains an area of nearly six hundred square miles, is surrounded on the north by Coos and Grafton counties, east by York and Oxford counties in Maine, southeast by Strafford county, southwest and west by Belknap and Grafton counties, and lies between 43" 28' and 44" 35' north latitude, and 3" 20' and 6" 10' longitude east from Washington.

In 1880 the entire population of Carroll county was 18, 291, and improvement over 1870 which showed 17,332, and a falling off from 1860 which gave 20, 465, and from 1850, which was 20,157. The highest peaks within the county include: Mt. Washington, 6293 ft; Mt. Adams 5,794; Mt. Jefferson, 5,714 ft.; Mt. Clay, 5,553 ft; Mt. Monroe, 5,384 ft; Mt. Little Monroe 4,204 ft.; Mt. Madison 5,365 ft; and a number more over 4,000 feet.

There are several boulders of note: The Conway Boulders in North Conway aka the Pequawket boulder; the Washington Boulder northwest of Conway Centre near Pine Hill; the Bartlett Boulder; Ordination Rock in Tamworth; and Madison Boulder, the largest of these glacial 'travelers' in the northwest part of Madison NH. Its county seat is OSSIPEE.
[from the History of Carroll County, New Hampshire by Georgia Drew Merrill; Boston: W.A. Fergusson & Co., 1889]

The county seat of Carroll County is Ossipee NH.


DOCUMENTS (this site) for genealogical research

OTHER AREAS OF RESEARCH FOR CHESHIRE COUNTY (this site)


PHOTOGRAPHS (also see individual towns):

If you are looking for town/city specific resources, click on the town map.
For other resources within Carroll County. If you want to know about general genealogy resources (such as how to find vital records, deeds and other documents), visit the "Genealogical Research" section.

Current communities in Carroll County include
:
Albany, Bartlett, Brookfield, Chatham, Conway, Eaton, Effingham, Freedom, Hart's Location, Hale's Location (unincorporated place), Jackson, Madison, Moultonborough, Ossipee, Sandwich, Tamworth, Tuftonborough, Wakefield, Wolfeborough.

Map of Carroll County NH showing townships

TOWNS / CITIES IN CARROLL COUNTY, New Hampshire

ALBANY


BARTLETT
BROOKFIELD
  • Brief History: Brookfield was a part of the early township of Kingswood, which existed only on paper, later it formed a part of Middleton, which was created in 1778. In December 1794 Brookfield was incorporated, and William Chamberlain was appointed to call the first town-meeting and act as moderator. Nicholas Austin first settled here a few years before it was incorporated. The town of Brookfield NH is separated from Middleton by Moose and Willey mountains. Copple Crown, another mountain is almost the dividing line between Brookfield and New Durham. Tumble-down Dick lies wholly in Brookfield. A small pond, 1-1/4 mile long and 3/4 of a mile wide, known as Cook's Pond, is the source of one branch of Salmon Falls River. Brookfield is 45 miles NE of Concord. A branch of the Salmon Falls River has its source in Cook's Pond in this town, that pond being the largest body of water. Farming and logging traditionally are the chief occupations.Brookfield is bounded on the north by Wolfeborough and Wakefield, east by Wakefield, south by Middleton, and west by Durham and Wolfeborough. When the railroads were active, the Wolfeborough Branch Railroad passed through this town. [from New-Hampshire Gazetteer and History of Carroll Co. NH]
  • Villages and Place Names: Kingswood, Middleton
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Brookfield Town Clerk
      267 Wentworth Road
      Brookfield, NH 03872
      Phone: (603) 522-3688
    • Gafney Library [shared library in Wakefield NH]
      14 High Street
      Wakefield, NH 03872
      Phone: (603)-522-3401
      Fax: (603)-522-7123
    • Wakefield-Brookfield Historical Society
      2851 Wakefield Road
      Wakefield Corner
      Wakefield, NH 03830
  • History & Genealogy:
  • PHOTOGRAPHS/POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:

CHATHAM
  • Brief History: Chatham was granted by Governor Benning Wentworth, February 7, 1767 to seventy-three grantees. It was laid out ten miles long and four wide, and named for Lord Chatham. It is bounded north by Bean's Purchase, east by Maine, south by Conway, west by Bartlett, Jackson and Bean's Purchase. Baldface Mountain towers 3,600 feet high in the northwest part of the town. From Baldface stretches southward a great mountain wall composed of Gemini, Eastman, Sloop and Kearsarge mountains. The town contains gem mines, i.e. white topazes, lapis lazuli, beryls, garnets, etc. When Coos County was formed (1805) Chatham was one of its towns, remaining so until 1823 when it was given to Strafford County, then it was one of the original towns of Carroll County. The first settlement of the town was at South Chatham when Nathan Ames lived there in a log house with his family, building a saw and grist mill. In 2013 it was the fifth smallest community in New Hampshire.
  • Villages and Place Names: Chatham, North Chatham, South Chatham
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Chatham Board of Selectmen
      Wayne McAllister, Chairman
      1681 Main Road
      Chatham, NH 03813
      (603) 694-3827

  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
  • PHOTOGRAPHS/POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS:


CONWAY
EATON

EFFINGHAM
  • History: Effingham was settled a few years prior to the American revolution, then known as Leavitt's Town. In 1761 proprietors met at the tavern of John Leavitt in North Hampton NH to hire a surveyor to lay out this town. The town was still so remote that in 1762 the proprietors meeting concluded that a road needed to be cut to the center of Leavittstown. It was incorporated 18 August 1778. In 1820 a small portion of the town of Wakefield was annxed to Effingham (a gore lying between the state line and Province Pond). In 1831 the part of the town lying north of the Great Ossipee River was incorporated as the town of North Effingham. Effingham borders west on Ossipee lake and east on Maine. It lies 58 miles N.E. of Concord and 25 N.E. from Gilford. The Ossipee river passes through the town, and it early had a toll bridge. Province pond lies between Effingham and Wakefield. In 1830 there were 1,911 inhabitants.
  • Villages and Place Names: Leavittstown, Chases Mills, Effingham Falls, Center Effingham, Grape Corner, Pine River, South Effingham, Drake's Corner
  • Profile & Statistics:
  • GOVERNMENT:
    • Official Town of Effingham web site
    • Effingham Public Library
    • Effingham Historical Society
      1014 Province Lake Road
      (Route 153 South)
      Effingham, NH 03882
      (603) 539-6715
      The Effingham Historical Society main building was originally constructed in the 1830’s as a general store and was used in the 1860’s and 1870’s as a photography studio. It was donated to the Society in the 1950’s and moved to its current location at that time. It now contains meeting facilities as well as two floors of museum collection space.
  • HISTORY & GENEALOGY:
  • PHOTOGRAPHS/POSTCARDS:
  • MAPS

FREEDOM

HALE'S LOCATION (unincorporated territory)

HART'S LOCATION

JACKSON

MADISON

MOULTONBOROUGH

OSSIPEE

SANDWICH


TAMWORTH


TUFTONBORO


WAKEFIELD


WOLFEBORO